Skip to main content

The Grand Poo-Bah

All I ever wanted was to be the Grand Poo-Bah. Every summer I would walk fast, and I wouldn’t complain, even when my feet got tired and started to swell like two roasting marshmallows, my white velcro sneakers squealing with every step. All I ever wanted was to wear that old lobster bait bag as a hat, carry the sacred walking stick, and be dubbed the leader of the hike, the Poo-Bah.

Every summer since I was 4 months old, my Mom, my Dad, my brother, and I would go all the way to Mount Desert, Maine and sail for a few weeks on a 35 ft. sloop named Galatea. The nearby islands and towns slowly became friends of mine, as I adventured with my family. We took short swims in the frigid ocean, wearing only life jackets on our scrawny chests. We couldn’t stay in for very long because our lips would fade to an icy blue hue, almost like the pale purple color that coated my lips after I popped too many blueberries into my mouth. My tongue would also turn purple as I plucked endless berries from trailside bushes, before rushing to catch up with my parents. Our long sunny hikes on rocky beaches, mountain tops, and lighthouse islands always meant snack lunches of cheese, stoned-wheat-thins, and peppered salami. We explored countless island beaches with large, smooth rocks like dinosaur eggs and marveled at treasures washed up from lobster traps hidden among the seaweed. This is where Daddy found the Poo-Bah hat, just above the high-tide line, in a pile of driftwood and seaweed.

The Poo-Bah hat is a bright orange mesh bait bag, stiff enough to hold its shape and grasp your ears when you wear it. It tickles the sides of your scalp like cold water droplets as you slide it on. It whispers in your ears for the first few seconds, singing an itchy tune that shivers down your middle.

But I never wore the Poo-Bah hat without the proper ceremony: a pass-off of leadership. One such ceremony occurred on the rocky beach of Great Waas Island. We had emerged from the trees onto the shoreline, and Daddy had stopped ahead of me, turning to face my glowing expression. He tapped each shoulder once with the sacred walking stick, a skinny sea-weathered piece of driftwood, and slid the orange crown over my sunhat. I was dubbed Grand Poo-Bah.

I threw my round chest out, raising my chubby chin to greet the ocean breeze, and I started to hike onwards. I was in the lead this time, the tingle of hot blood pumping through my legs with each step. Seagulls bowed their heads as they flew by me, crabs scuttled under barnacle covered rocks. Trees relaxed their waving limbs and stood tall as the wind calmed to a steady, light, breeze. From the scratchy tip of the orange hat, to the dull thud of the weathered walking stick, I emanated pride and the world around me sensed the honor of the Grand Poo-Bah.

Wearing the Poo-Bah Hat on Great Waas Island, circa 2008


Comments

  1. SUCH a proud smile in that photo. I just love how your writing captures that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Rabbit really earned that Poo-Bah hat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and all of the description - and the picture really highlights the story

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gelato and City Fireflies

The city streets of Florence, Italy feel like canyons. They are deep, cobbled trenches, dug out of a sea of red roofs. From the top of the cathedral, gazing out over the city, we had seen the shingled waves and ripples of dull red, a layer of rooftops. But deep, straight gouges in this landscape sprawl outwards from the cathedral plaza, a network of narrow streets. We stroll along the canyon floor, over the smooth cobblestones, each one like a scale on the back of a fish. The towering Italian architecture squeezes the sky into a thin stripe, three stories above us. The slim sliver of blue slowly fades to dark velvet, the color of a night sky polluted by city lights.  Our destination slides into view on the side of the street: a gelato shop. The dull yellow glow from street lamps that shine a pale hue on the glossy cobblestones is replaced by bright white lights and blinding walls as we step into the shop. A crisp smell of cream and freezers meets my nostrils as I glance across the flav